Friday, April 2, 2010

The Date: Any Day You Want... As Long as it Fits Our Schedule.

From Christmas till New Years I don't remember much, my head was kinda in the clouds and I couldn't settle down enough to plan a wedding yet.  But knowing us, if we didn't pick a date, it would get put off for another 7 years, so I picked up a calender and picked.  It was our current anniversary, July 3rd... a Saturday, perfect!  So, I began the fun task of trying to book a reception hall.

You'd think that'd be easy, but little did I know those things book up a year in advance during wedding season.  How was I supposed to know when wedding season started?!  I was new to all of this and had only watched my sister panic as my mom planned it all for her.

Well, I looked at every decent venue.  Some answered "we are booked" some told me alternate dates, while others didn't answer at all.  It was frustrating. 

Finally, I found a place that was super cheap, and very nice looking.  It was only $300 for a 4 hour rception!!  Earlier in my life I would of thought paying 300 bucks to borrow a building would of been outragious, but now it seemed too good to be true.  Only problem, the 3rd was booked, but the 2nd was open. 

After much discussion, Mr. Zombie and I agreed, a friday wedding would be fine with us.  We asked all our friends and family what date they would prefer and they all said "just tell us when to be there and we will be!  No questions asked!"  So we went for it.  We let everyone know the date, we booked the place and it was set.  Our out of town groomsmen and bridemaids were ready to buy their tickets and we were moving on to the next step.

Later that week we began to hear the complaints bubble up slowly.  No one ever told us anything directly, but you know when someone tells you "great haircut" but you can just tell they hate it... and then you hear the wispers... yea, it was kinda like that.

Apparently, some of his family had to do stock that night, or drive really far RIGHT after work, and then the complaints of traffic and the timeing came to us.  So we said FINE. 

I called the friends who needed to buy plane tickets and told them to wait.  I called the hall to see if there was a new date avalible.  We went through a few more days until we finally all settled on July 11th, yup good ol' 7/11... It's a good thing I have a sense of humor, cause from now on I get to share my anniversary with the name of my favorite old convenience store.

Luckily, this date only mildly inconvenienced people now because it was a Sunday. As long as everyone else is happy, right? Well, you can please some of the people some of the time...

No comments:

Post a Comment