Thursday, April 1, 2010

The Proposal: You Suck at Chinese Fire Drills.

We have been dating 7 and a half years, and we’ve known each other since our 6th grade science class. The class sucked because the teacher was a douche, but it was there that I taught Mr.Zombie how to cheat, and in return, he taught me how to cuss. We are great influences on each other. Ever since then we’ve been best friends, we walked home together every day and told the other all our secrets. We had all the same friends and were both band nerds that spent our weekends ignoring the football games we had to attend. However, it wasn’t until senior year of high school that things changed. It was a normal day of him hanging out at my house when he kissed me out of the blue, it was fast and a little scary, but it was that kiss that sealed our fate. That was when I began having feelings for him.  I'd known he'd liked me for a long time (everyone knew), but I hadn't had any real interest till that kiss.

By Christmas break of my senior year he had invaded my brain, and was all I could think of. Then again, I was a stupid high schooler and wouldn't end up dating him till after we graduated.  He drove me home from some party, and in my drive way, he told me he loved me.  This was his way of letting me go, but that's when I knew I had to do something.  So I talked it out with some of our very close friends and they convinced me to give him a chance. So I went on a date with him. From then on, we became eternal partners in crime.




It was the perfect courtship; plenty of fun and laughs, lots of traveling and adventure.
I guess it was because of our many road trips, I didn’t think much of it when he suggested this Christmas we go to San Antonio to visit his sister. However, I did find it odd that he kept talking about going to the river walk to see the lights and grab dinner.  For those who have never been, the river walk is packed with restaurants and night life. It is underground across the street from the Alamo, which we have both seen at least 100 times (though, it is still very awesome).

So we drove from Houston to San Antonio, and before I could even put my stuff down at his sister's he was ready to go eat.  You'd think if you'd been to the Alamo 100 times, you'd remember how to find it, but you'd be wrong; we were driving around in circles.

After about an hour of driving around, our stomachs growling and getting dizzy from being lost, he began sneezing his head off on the freeway. He sneezed so hard that his glasses broke pretty much in half (they were only held together with some tape and spit, so it was no big surprise) I told him to pull over and let me drive or at least pull over so we can fix his glasses.

He pulled into a dark industrial part of town, where a 16 wheeler had parked for the night. I'm a secret wimp and I wanted to make our driver switching fast, so I masked my fear with "Chinese fire drill!!".
I got out and ran to the driver’s side, but he was just standing there. I was rather confused, but with the dizziness and hunger all I could think to say was "you sure suck at Chinese fire drills".


Then he got down on one knee.

No comments:

Post a Comment